Top 3: Best LiFePO4 Battery Brands
Not all lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery brands are equal or the same. In fact, the majority of solar enthusiasts are only familiar with a limited range of LiFePO4 battery solutions. LiFePO4 batteries are slowly picking up traction in the global market even though they aren’t exactly new.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the top 3 LiFePO4 battery brands: the Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, the Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, and the SOK LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery.
1) Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery
The Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries have impressive stats and features, perhaps it may be considered the ultimate deep cycle lithium iron phosphate battery technology.
There are two common variants available in the market, the 100Ah 12V battery that weighs 29 lbs, with 3000-5000 Cycles. It is fairly priced and costs between $950 to $1200.
There is also the 50Ah 12V battery which acts as the perfect replacement for the lead-acid battery. It weighs about 17.6lbs with 3000-5000 Cycles.
On average, this will cost between $575.00 and $799.00. Let’s have a look at some of the most outstanding features of the Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries:
- Cell alignment– With 26650 stainless steel cylindrical lithium-ion battery cells aligned in a 4s30p configuration, Battle Born batteries tend to have more power which leads to better performance, and greater longevity.
- Safety design– The battery is built with 3 layers of safety protection; an internal fuse within the stainless-steel lithium iron phosphate cells that instantly break the connection between the cathode and the anode whenever the battery overheats (up to 135 degrees Celsius). There is a lengthways circuit between each layer of cells that is used to monitor the temperature, pressure, and current running through the battery. Furthermore, each battery is fitted with a safety valve that can be discharged whenever the internal pressure is over the safe value, 5Mpa (Megapascal).
- Built design– The Battle Born LiFePO4 uses an ABS case with stainless-steel explosion-proof cylindrical lithium cells. Both the negative and positive posts of each cell are welded to a plate and bolted for a secure electrical and physical connection.
- Battery Management System (BMS)– the BMS has a microprocessor that protects the battery from excessively low and high voltages, it also protects the battery from short-circuit, reverses polarity, as well as balancing the charge. With the BMS, you will have the option to connect multiple Battle Born Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries in series or parallel without necessarily needing external protection.
- Exceptional warranty– Battle Born LiFePO4 comes with a 10-year full replacement warranty.
2) Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
The Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Battery is perfect for off-grid applications such as solar homes, golf carts, campers, motor homes, and RVs.
This is because the batteries have exceptional qualities since they have been manufactured by Automotive Grade LiFePO4 Cells which tend to have higher energy, greater power, and more stable performance.
Below is a summary of the outstanding features of the Ampere Time LiFePO4 Batteries.
- Performance– the 12V 100Ah variant has a 95% efficiency. It has a flat discharge curve that can hold up to 12.8V for up to 95% of its usage. This provides an exceptional boost in run-time, thereby, making it a perfect choice for outdoor activities. Other variants might vary in terms of efficiency, however, they all provide an astronomical boost in run-time.
- Built design– The base variant for the Ampere Time LiFePO4 Battery weighs about 25.35lbs making it 50% lighter than a lead acid battery. However, it is relatively heavy compared to the Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery. One of the top variants, 12V 300Ah, weighs up to 69lbs.
- Safety design– The Ampere Time LiFePO4 Battery rivals the Battle Born LiFePO4 in terms of safety. You can start using it as soon as it is charged since it lacks memory effect. It can be mounted in any position since there is no acid inside, the battery is also IP65 level waterproof which makes it safe to be installed both indoors and outdoors. Perhaps these are some of the reasons why the Ampere Time LiFePO4 Battery has been awarded the PSE/FCC/CE/UL/IP65/ROSH for their batteries; the official certificate for comprehensive quality assurance and safety.
- Battery Management System (BMS)- Just like the Battle Born LiFePO4, the Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery also comes with a built-in BMS. The BMS is part of its safety feature since it protects the battery from over-current, over-discharge, overcharge, and short circuits.
- Standard warranty– the Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery comes with a standard 5-year warranty as well as customer service for all its batteries.
3) SOK LiFePO4 Battery
SOK LiFePO4 batteries, a Chinese-made product, started filling out warehouses in the U.S in 2020. The main selling point for this battery brand is ‘SAVING MONEY’.
Currently, it serves as a low-cost option for reliable electricity storage.
To put it into perspective, with as low as $569 you can purchase a 100Ah SOK battery. Some quick math will tell you that this is roughly $0.45 per watt-hour or $5.69 per amp-hour.
This is relatively cheaper compared to other high-end LiFePO4 battery options such as the Battle Born and Ampere Time LiFePO4 batteries.
The 200Ah SOK LiFePO4 battery will cost $1,029, I thought you should know this since there are only two variants of the SOK LiFePO4 battery: the 200Ah battery and the 100Ah battery.
With all that said, let’s look at a few features that make the SOK Batteries an outstanding product.
- Performance– According to the product manufacturer, each SOK Battery can last for about 4,000-8,000 life cycles. On average, the SOK Battery is expected to last for 10-20 years which is the same range as the Battle Born and Ampere Time LiFePO4 batteries. SOK LiFePO4 batteries have a protective feature that enables them to store power in temperatures between 22°F to 140°F. As much as the battery can only be charged at temperatures above freezing, its ability to function below 32° F makes it ideal for winter application.
- Built design- The internal electrical components of the SOK LiFePO4 batteries are protected from the external environment by a durable metal box that is IP50 rated. This ensures dust, as well as external debris, are kept outside the system. The battery is also fitted with a durable handle as well as sealed sockets which can be used for years.
- Advanced Battery Management System (BMS)/Safety design- The BMS is installed directly on the battery’s casing. This built-in smart system protects the battery against potential damage by automatically adjusting rates of electricity flow. The BMS also ensures that the battery is not overcharged, overly discharged, or short-circuited. The BMS supports low-temperature charging (32°F) as well as high-temperature charging (149°F).
- Decent warranty- SOK LiFePO4 battery comes with a decent 7-years warranty.
With the three LiFePO4 batteries mentioned above, anyone might be confused about what to settle for. Well, all the brands present unique value; if you are a brand loyal customer, then you should consider the Battle Born LiFePO4 battery.
Although it is quite expensive, it is known for manufacturing high-quality products. However, if you are price cautious and want value for money, you can go for the SOK which acts as a low-cost option for really solid performance.
The Ampere Time LiFePO4 balances between price and quality. It is ideal for those who wish to purchase a top brand at an affordable price.
Why the sudden demand for LifePo4 battery solutions?
Compared to their predecessors, the Lithium-ion batteries, the LifePo4 batteries are excellent when used as a deep-cycle RV option. We prefer them for off grid surveillance trailers but the demand comes from RV enthusiasts, homesteaders, and preppers. They have long cycle life, high current rating, enhanced safety tools, thermal stability, high tolerance for abuse, and very flat discharge curves.